The University Grants Commission (UGC), the higher education the regulator on Tuesday released a list of 23 “self-styled, unrecognised” universities operating in the country.
As the admission process is still going on in many universities, the regulator has warned students against taking admission in these institutions.
“Students and public at large are hereby informed that at present 23 self-styled, unrecognised institutions are functioning in various parts of the country in contravention of the UGC Act,” UGC Secretary Rajnish Jain was quoted as saying.
The highest number of the fake universities are in Uttar Pradesh, eight; followed by seven in the national capital Delhi.
Kerala, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Puducherry have a fake university each.
The Commission states that, the UGC Act, 1956 under Section 22(1) provides that a degree can be awarded, only by a University established under a Central, State/Provincial Act or an institution deemed to be university under Section 3 of the UGC Act or an Institution especially empowered by an Act of Parliament to confer the degree.
Unrecognised universities in Uttar Pradesh are:
- Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya (Varanasi)
- Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya (Prayagraj)
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapeeth (Varanasi)
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy (Kanpur)
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Open University (Aligarh)
- Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya (Mathura)
- Maharana Partap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya (Pratapgarh)
- Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad (Noida)
- Commercial University Ltd
- United Nations University
- Vocational University
- ADR Centric Juridical University
- Indian Institution of Science and Engineering
- Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University)
- Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment
Other Universities are: Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Belgaum (Karnataka); St John’s University Kishanattam (Kerala); Raja Arabic University (Maharashtra); Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education (Puducherry); Raja Arabic University, Nagpur (Maharashtra); Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkata (West Bengal); Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Rourkela, North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, Mayurbhanj, (Odissa).
In case of the recognition of Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, the matter is sub-judice before the district judge, Jain said.