Are you suffering from diabetes and do not know what all you can eat? Are you tired of eating bland and boiled food everyday and are looking for something different that you can eat if you are diabetic?
Patients with diabetes need to take extra care as they need to eat balanced proportions and also maintain a healthy exercise routine to stop their sugar levels from shooting up and down.
Being diabetic is not easy, especially if you are foodie and you absolutely love exploring different cuisines every time.
There are times when you do not feel like eating your regular portions and want to experiment with fruits.
One of the most common question asked by diabetic patients is “can I consume fruits if I have diabetes? “ the answer is a big YES. But this YES comes with a condition, you cannot eat every fruit but there are a lot of options still there for you if you are suffering from diabetes.
One can eat the following fruits if he/she is suffering from diabetes:
1. Lime and Lemon – they contain high levels of vitamin C, along with other vitamins such as A, B, magnesium, sodium, and fibres. They help regulate blood sugar level due to their level of soluble fibre.
2. Cranberries –Known for having ample fibre and antioxidants, they help diabetic patients control their sugar levels as they have very little sugar in them. When consumed in the form of juice, Cranberries can also help prevent Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) which are common amongst the diabetic patients.
3. Guava – Guava is another rich source of vitamin C and fibre. It is a low glucose concentration fruit which is why guava promotes weight loss.
4. Kiwis – With millions of seeds inside, this fruit is enriched in fibre and Vitamin C and is very beneficial for diabetic patients and their health.
5. Pear – This fruit is a great source of nutrients and has high water content which makes it ideal for diabetic patients.
6. Figs – High dietary fibre, antioxidants, iron, and other minerals can be obtained by eating fig. While it is beneficial for health, those with diabetes or borderline diabetes must keep in check the number of figs they eat as too many figs can be harmful. You should consult your dietitian or doctor on how many of these can you have everyday.
The above mentioned fruits are good for you if you have diabetes but you should always consult your doctor or nutritionist to know the amount and frequency at which you can consume them.
(Article contributed by Aditi Chandra)