Andhra Pradesh tops the list and Telangana stands at 8th position in terms of employability rate according to the India Skills Report 2019.
According to the report, the employability level of B.Tech/B.E graduates is at 63.11% in Andhra Pradesh as against last year’s 42.08%. Around 70 percent of the youth face problem due to lack of professional guidance in finding desirable jobs that are worth their skills.
“The increase in employability in Andhra Pradesh is a good sign for the market. But we have a long way to go and entire ecosystem should focus on bridging the employability gaps, enhancing the talent pool thus taking measures from school level to professional level focusing on learning,” said Founder and CEO Wheebox, Nirmal Singh.
KEY POINTS OF THE INDIA SKILLS REPORT 2019
· Andhra Pradesh has topped the list of states with the highest employability followed by Rajasthan and Haryana.
· Employability levels of B.Tech/B.E. have increased across all the sectors, touching a new high of 63.11 percent, which remained at 42.08 percent last year.
· The employability levels of MBA and polytechnic stand low between 47.18 percent and 45.90 percent
· Despite the lack of renowned institutions like IITs/IIMs, the growth trend can be seen in Tier II and Tier III cities.
Andhra Pradesh is one of the preferred hiring destinations in India, which offers equal space to both male and female workers.
The students from ITIs, polytechnic and engineering colleges are identified and ranked for their top skills, including work ethics, verbal communication, analytical and critical thinking, problem-solving, interpersonal skills, written communication skills
According to the report, a small percentage of students in all states have done at least one internship in the past twelve months.
Another insight from the report shows that 80 percent of assessed candidates are willing to explore internship opportunities as they believe that it would assist them in getting employed in reputed firms.
Whereas 85 percent of candidates feel they lack proper information or guidance to take a thought-out career decision.
SUMMARY OF 2019 REPORT OF INDIA SKILLS
1. Employability continues to rise: reaches a new high of 47% this year
2. Engineers still the most employable of the lot, MBA courses lose shine
3. Hiring intent gets more positive this year, 15 % increase in hiring against 2018 hiring numbers
4. Technology companies expected to pick up on hiring after a gap of 3 years
India Skills Report is a conscious, one-of-a-kind report to provide insight into the hiring trends of the market while understanding the needs of the job seeker and organizations. The fifth edition of the report has reached out to about 5,00,000 students across 29 states and 7 union territories from the supply side and corporate players from 12 diverse industry sectors on the demand side.
The survey was conducted jointly by Wheebox, PeopleStrong, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), and supported and backed by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Association of Indian Universities (AIU).