In a shocking incident, a 23 year old Gym instructor died of electrocution in Serilingampally after heavy rains lashed Hyderabad on Tuesday.

Hyderabad has been witnessing extremely heavy rains for the last few days, and it is believed this is the highest rainfall ever received in the last hundred years around this time of the year.

The 23 year old Adam Mark Jordan was living at Manikanta Men’s Hostel in Serilingampally and was reportedly electrocuted when he was returning from the gym at around 11.30 PM.

Police said that Adam was electrocuted as he stepped on an iron rod which was in contact with a live wire at the hostel gate and died instantly.

Addressing media, Sub-Inspector of Madhapur said “the heavy rains led to water logging in many areas, the area in which the hostel is located was also filled with rain water. Upon reaching the hostel gate, Jordan reportedly put his foot down and touched an iron rod and got electrocuted.”

Police suspect that the electric wire could have snapped when the tree branches were trimmed by a builder at a nearby construction site. Jordan’s body was taken to Osmania hospital where the autopsy was conducted.

Police registered a case under section 304 A causing death by negligence.

In another incident, a 43 year old priest died after falling into an open drain. after heavy rains led to waterlogging in the area. The deceased was identified as B Premkumar Shastry. The incident took place in Chaitanyapuri. Shastry was reportedly walking along with his friend Ramakrishna Sharma at around 11.40 PM when both of them accidentally fell into the open drain. While Ramakrishna managed to escape, Shastry succumbed.

Police recovered Shastry’s body at around 3 am and it is suspected that the duo were in an inebriated state.

Hyderabad has been witnessing very heavy rains for the last one week. On Tuesday, Hyderabad recorded the highest rainfall up to 132 mm in certain areas.

On Wednesday, many parts of the city including the Panjagutta flyover that connects Begumpet with several parts of the city was flooded with rainwater logging up to 2 feet. The entire traffic came to a standstill.

Traffic police were forced to use their bamboo sticks to clear the clogged drains. The Police blame the GHMC (Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation) officials for their negligence. “The GHMC is supposed to clear the clogs before the downpour, its negligence led to huge traffic congestion in the area which witnesses a heavy traffic in the city,” said a police official.

The Hyderabad Traffic Police took to its twitter handle to show how difficult it was for them to regulate traffic in the knee deep flood waters near one of the busiest flyovers in the city.

Twitterati lashed out at the negligence of GHMC and its inefficiency in tackling the heavy rains with timely intervention in the city.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here