In another incident of apathy by the civic authorities, a seven-year-old boy was electrocuted to death in Bengaluru’s Dr. Rajkumar Park.
The victim, Uday Gor, was playing with his young brother when he stepped on the live wire. The incident took place around 7:30pm on Sunday.
Passers-by were alarmed by Uday’s younger brother’s screams and rushed the two to the hospital. Unfortunately, doctors declared Uday brought dead while his younger brother was treated for minor injuries.
According to local residents, who have gathered in the park on Monday in a mark of a protest, said for the last few days old lamposts in the park were being replaced by new ones. It was for this purpose that wires were being dug out and were connected to the new ones. Unfortunately, one of the wires which were left unattended caused the tragedy.
“An FIR has been registered against unnamed officials of the BBMP, BDA and the contractor who changed the lights in the park for causing death by negligence,” Inspector of Banaswadi Police Station said.
The mishap comes days after a six-year-old boy was electrocuted after coming in contact with a live wire in Hyderabad. He had died due to electrocution on coming in contact with a lamppost.