South African fast bowler Anrich Nortje has been ruled out of the upcoming 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup with a fractured thumb in his right hand.
Earlier, Nortje was also ruled out of the ongoing season of the Indian Premier League with a shoulder injury after being bought by Kolkata Knight Riders.
The 25-year old suffered a fracture in his right thumb while practicing in the nets and has been recommended rest for six to eight weeks.
“Anrich sustained a fracture to his right thumb during a net session in Port Elizabeth on Monday,” Proteas team manager Dr. Mohammed Moosajee said. “He immediately consulted a hand surgeon and underwent surgery to stabilize the joint and will unfortunately be sidelined for up to eight weeks. This makes him unavailable for the upcoming ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.”
Moosajee continued “It is an unfortunate and freakish injury, especially because he had made a successful recovery from the shoulder injury he sustained during the series against Sri Lanka. He has had a few injury setbacks in the last year but knowing Anrich’s character, he will be motivated to come back stronger. We wish him a speedy recovery.”
Chris Morris will be replacing Nortje in the South Africa squad for the World Cup and adds some steel to the lower middle order if added to the playing XI.
Cricket South Africa National Selection Panel Convener, Linda Zondi explained the inclusion of an all-rounder replacing a fast bowler. He said “Chris (Morris) has always been in our plans and is our next best option with the ball. He has the pace and death-bowling skills which will be vital in the UK, and also gives us that depth as a deadly finisher with the bat. We have had concerns around his injuries and workload capabilities but this is an opportunity for him to make a mark on the biggest stage.
“It is unfortunate what has happened to Anrich, he is a talented player with exciting potential. We wish him well on his road to recovery and have no doubt that he will bounce back to fulfil his potential,” he concluded.