IPL, opening ceremony, funds, budget, Pulwama, Martyrs, CRPF, Pulwama terror attack, donate, CoA, BCCI, ICCThe Committee of Administrators (CoA) on Friday announced the scrapping of the regular opening ceremony for the 12th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
The decision comes in the wake of the Pulwama attack that resulted in the death of around 40 CRPF officials.
The IPL openings are known for its grandeur and high-budget performances.
“We will not have any inaugural function for the IPL and the money budgeted for that goes to the martyrs’ families,” said Committee of Administrators chairman Vinod Rai.

The committee also decided to send a letter to the International Cricket Council(ICC). The letter will raise concerns about the security of the players at the 2019 World Cup.

However, the CoA gave no indication that India will pull out of the June 16 World Cup in Manchester. The association is in touch with Pakistan on the matter, confirmed Rai.

It said CoA would individually urge ICC members to “sever ties with any nation that is a terrorist hub”.

Former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly and senior off-spinner Harbhajan Singh had earlier suggested that India should severe all sporting ties with Pakistan.

Meanwhile, cricket legend Sunil Gavaskar stated that India should not hand over points to Pakistan by boycotting the game. He advocated continued shunning of bilateral cricket ties.

The Old Trafford match on 16 June is a revenue jackpot for ICC. Earlier on Thursday, the CoA had drafted a letter directed to ICC chairman Shashank Manohar. It seeks a complete ban on Pakistan from the upcoming edition of the tournament.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here