On Thursday, the death toll from the coronavirus epidemic in China has risen to 2,118 with the death of 114 more people, while the overall confirmed cases increased to 74,576, according to Chinese officials.
China’s National Health Commission (NHC) said the new confirmed cases declined to 394, a drop from 1,693 a day earlier and registering the biggest drop since December when the first case was reported in Wuhan city in the central Hubei Province.
On Thursday, the NHC said that it received reports of 114 deaths on Wednesday from 31 provincial-level regions. The overall confirmed cases on the Chinese mainland reached 74,576 and 2,118 people died of the novel coronavirus.
The commission added that 4,922 people were still suspected of being infected with the virus.
Among the deaths, 108 were in Hubei Province, the epicentre of the virus and one each from Hebei, Shanghai, Fujian, Shandong, Yunnan and Shaanxi, commission stated.
China is struggling to get its economy back on track after imposing severe travel restrictions to contain a virus that emerged in the central province of Hubei late last year.
Beyond mainland China, six people have died from the disease, including two in Iran as of Wednesday, and governments around the world are trying to prevent it from spreading globally.
On Thursday, Australia’s Qantas Airways Ltd said, it will ground the equivalent of 18 planes, freeze recruitment and ask its 30,000 staff to use up annual leave as it grapples with falling demand from Asia due to the coronavirus epidemic.
On Wednesday, Scientists published Wednesday preliminary findings in the New England Journal of Medicine that suggested the virus spreads easily, including through patients who have no symptoms.
“If confirmed, this is very important,” said Dr. Greg Poland, a virologist and vaccine researcher with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Dr. Greg Poland was not involved with the study.