The death toll from novel coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19 has risen to 2,004. There has been an increase of 136 deaths in mainland China, as per the Chinese health committee which came out in public with a statement on Wednesday.
Nationwide, there had been a further 1,749 new confirmed cases of which 1,693 were from Hubei, bringing the total number of infections across the country to 74,185.
The number of people who have recovered and have been discharged from hospitals has risen by 1,824 to 14,376.
“The state health committee has received from 31 provinces… information about 74,185 confirmed cases of infection with the new type of coronavirus, of which 57,805 people are currently infected (11,977 people are in serious condition), 14,376 people have been discharged from hospitals and 2,004 have died,” the committee said.
The novel coronavirus disease, dubbed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization (WHO), was first detected in Wuhan, China’s Hubei Province, in late December 2019 and has since spread to more than 20 other countries.
In a recent development reported by an international media organization, a top official in China’s outbreak vowed to find and isolate every infected patient in the city by day’s end.
“There’s nothing more important than human life,” said Wang Zhonglin, Wuhan’s newly selected Communist Party secretary, in remarks published by the government of Hubei province. “If a single new case is found [after Wednesday], the district leaders will be held responsible,” he added.