Elizabeth II
(Image courtesy: Twitter)

On Monday, Queen Elizabeth II agreed to her grandson Prince Harry’s demand that he should be allowed to give up most of his duties in Britain’s royal family and start a new life for himself and his family in Canada.

“My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family,” she said in an official statement. “Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the royal family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.”

Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced last week that they would step back as senior members of the royal family and work towards becoming financially independent.

The queen said Harry and Meghan had made it clear that they do not want to rely on public funds in their new lives.

“These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days,” she added.

Buckingham Palace was reportedly not consulted by the couple when they took the decision, and reportedly left family members feeling disappointed and hurt.

Both Prince Harry and Meghan spoke of the difficulties of royal life and media attention in recent months, with the duke saying he feared his wife would fall victim to “the same powerful forces” that led to his mother’s death.

The talks about their future took place as Prince Harry and Prince William issued a joint statement denying false claims that their relationship had been damaged by “bullying” on the part of the older brother.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here